Gary was sworn into office on January 4, 2021 as the Walton County Property Appraiser. Gary was raised in Walton County and loved growing up in the area and enjoying the outdoors. After graduating from Paxton High School, he earned an AA/AS in Criminal Justice Technology from Northwest Florida State College. Over the following years, Gary continued his education and obtained an Assessment Administration Specialist (AAS) professional designation from the International Association of Assessing Officers and received the Certified Florida Appraiser (CFA) designation from the Florida Department of Revenue.
Gary first started his career with the Walton County Property Appraiser’s office when he was 21. Little did he know at the time that this job would be the start of a long, fulfilling career. He continued his career in the appraisal field at the Florida Department of Revenue for 14 years and later served as the Land Department Supervisor for the Okaloosa County Property Appraiser prior to being elected Walton County Property Appraiser in August 2020.
Gary and his wife, Brianne Gregor, are the proud parents of their daughter and son. Together, they enjoy family time spent outdoors at the ballpark, fishing, hunting, and traveling.
Walton County Property Appraiser’s Office – August 1995
• Field Department – responsible for measuring new construction and review of existing structures
Florida Department of Revenue – April 2001
• Appraiser II – responsible for residential and commercial appraisals utilized in conducting the In-Depth Review process of the Property Appraiser’s Office.
• Appraiser Specialist – responsible for more complex commercial appraisals and review of Appraiser II and Senior Appraiser appraisal work for consistency, correctness, and value conclusions.
• Revenue Service Center Manager – responsible for all In-Depth and Procedural Reviews conducted by the FL Department of Revenue of all the Property Appraiser’s Offices’ in Northwest Florida. This includes approximately 13 staff appraisers, office staff, budget and covers the 12 counties located in the Central time zone in FL.
During my time at FDOR, I received much of my appraisal education consisting of approximately 300 credit hours of International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) Classes and other various classes from the Appraisal Institute and other appraisal process related course work. I also spent time on various teams and committees responsible for editing/modifying and implementing various guidelines and improvements in the appraisal process utilized by FDOR and applied to local county property appraisers.
Okaloosa County Property Appraiser’s Office – July 2015
• Land Department Supervisor – Responsible for assessing all land value in Okaloosa County, addressing customers questions/concerns, and defending the Property Appraiser’s assessed value at Value Adjustment Board Hearings.
Designations & Awards:
• Certified Florida Evaluator (CFE) from FDOR
• 2011 Eagle Award – for sustained excellence in implementing and overseeing the series of property tax reforms.
• Assessment Administration Specialist (AAS) Professional Designation from IAAO.
• 2020 Anthony A. Hodge Sr. Educational Award – presented by the Florida Chapter IAAO for continuation of educational advancement in the mass appraisal process.
• Certified Florida Appraiser (CFA)
• International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO)
• FL Chapter IAAO
• New Harmony Baptist Church
• Kiwanis – DeFuniak Springs Chapter
I look forward to bringing advanced technology and professional appraisal practices, along with an emphasis on outstanding customer service to the citizens of Walton County. It is a tremendous honor to serve as your Walton County Property Appraiser and I promise to work hard and produce Honest, Fair, and Equitable assessments for all Walton County property owners.
Gary J. Gregor